Our First Fundraising Event
I can't tell you how excited I was to go to the Valhalla marching band competition at Northgate High School in Newnan, GA on October 1st!
First of all, it was the first band competition I had been to since 199-something-or-other, but it was special for two other reasons. It was this little business' first-time selling instrument ornaments in person.
Second, the host band we were raising money for that day is directed by one of my very own band directors from my time as an East Coweta Marching Indian, in 199-slightly-earlier-something-or-other.
I am sure to write more on this at some point, but Alan Armstrong came to East Coweta's band during what could only be described as it's darkest hour, after the death of beloved director, Tam Easterwood, to brain cancer the previous year. His presence in our band that year, as someone new to us but who knew Mr. Easterwood well, helped us heal in ways that I feel deeply to this day.
Not to mention, his arrangement of the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" created the most emotionally impactful musical moment of my life (and I've seen Paul McCartney in concert 7 times). Let's just say, this is someone I really want to raise money for.
The day of the competition was filled with lots of wonderful conversations with band students and parents.
It was exciting to introduce my husband and my niece to the marching band life, and I got to reunite with one of my very best friends from high school, whose son performed trumpet solos beautifully in the host band.
Over $1,000 raised for Northgate High School Marching Band!
People were surprised and delighted to see that we sell some of the less common instruments, so we quickly sold out of the few bass clarinets and bassoons I made, as well as concert euphoniums. I got lots of requests for a bass guitar, so I have since drawn one and added it to the shop.
At the end of a very fun and busy day, we had raised $1,000 for Northgate's band! Not bad for our very first show, I'd say, and it was worth every bit of lobster-y sunburn I stupidly acquired that day.
Where will we be next?
We have one more show coming up in October. The LaFayette Marching Classic will take place on October 29 at Fayette County High School.
Then, November 5, we will be at Old South Southeastern Invitational at Newnan High School in (you guessed it) Newnan, GA. I have been working closely with Newnan's AMAZING band boosters, so I am extra excited about this one!
How can you help?
In the meantime, if you'd like to help The Inspired Dragonfly raise money for bands, here are a few ways to help:
- Share the site and/or your favorite ornament listing on your social media, and tell your followers that 50% of the purchase price goes to local marching bands
- If you are going to one of the competitions listed above, let your friends know that we'll be there and that we take LOTS of forms of payment (We even just added Cash App since it's apparently popular with the students.)
- Let your music loving friends know about us! Whether they are in band in middle school or a different place entirely, many of our ornaments are of instruments that are hard to find as ornaments, and you may make someone's day by sharing.
- If you see a post that I have made on social media, liking, commenting, and sharing helps the post get seen by more people.
- Got an idea for something you think I should sell? Tell me! Your idea may just be a big money maker for the band!
If you have made it this far, thank you! I have never been known for brevity. ;-)
The Inspired Dragonfly